by The Rev. Canon Sally G. Bingham
Thank you for your support of our work whether financial, action-related or in spirit. All of it matters and it inspires me to take note of what we have accomplished together this year:
- There are now IPL programs in 38 states and the District of Columbia, reaching 14,000 congregations.
- Congregations in almost all 50 states participated in the Cool Congregations Challenge to cut their carbon footprint.
- Seven hundred congregations participated in Preach-In on Global Warming and sent thousands of “Love the Earth” Valentines to Senators.
- The faith voice helped convince President Obama that a decision on the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline needed a brand new review process, one that takes climate and the environment into consideration.
- Several climate skeptics became climate converts, with the science changing their minds.
- We helped usher in new mercury and air toxics standards that will protect human health, while also curbing greenhouse gases.
- Our state IPLs also had many victories, such as the defeat of the dirty energy proposition (Prop 23) in California and the phaseout of 18 dirty coal plants in Tennessee.
While I am grateful for all that is right in the world, these feelings are juxtaposed with a sense of sadness over how much work we still need to do, and for all the global citizens who are suffering as a result of behaviors that turn a blind eye to climate realities. I think it is fair and reasonable to embrace both of these feelings. Please consider participating in Preach-In on Global Warming as you consider additional things to do in 2012 to continue making a difference, and again, thank you!
The Rev. Canon Sally G. Bingham
Interfaith Power & Light